"We Were All Frustrated": The Years of Unpaid Development for Scrapped Star Wars Ben Solo Movie

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren
  • Primary Subject: Steven Soderbergh’s canceled Star Wars film, The Hunt for Ben Solo
  • Key Update: Steven Soderbergh recently detailed his frustration over Disney axing his Ben Solo project.
  • Status: Confirmed
  • Last Verified: February 19, 2026
  • Quick Answer: Steven Soderbergh revealed Disney canceled his Adam Driver-led Star Wars movie because executives didn't believe Ben Solo could be alive following The Rise of Skywalker.

Steven Soderbergh recently shed more light on his planned canceled Star Wars movie with Adam Driver titled The Hunt for Ben Solo, which would have seen him reprise his iconic role.

Last year, Driver revealed that they were developing a Star Wars movie project that would have brought back Kylo Ren/Ben Solo in a story that takes place after The Rise of Skywalker. However, Disney pulled the plug and, since then, fans have been clamoring for the studio to revive the project and reconsider their decision.

Why Steven Soderbergh Feels Frustrated About His Canceled Star Wars Project

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren
expand image
Credit: Lucasf

In a recent interview with BK Mag, Soderbergh opened up more about the details regarding the development of The Hunt for Ben Solo and the frustrations that they felt when it was axed by Disney.

He shared that they spent two and a half years developing the Star Wars project without getting paid.

"We were all frustrated. You know, that was two and a half years of free work for me and Adam and [writer] Rebecca Blunt," he said.

"When Adam and I discussed him talking about it publicly, I said, ‘Look, do not editorialize or speculate about the why. Just say what happened, because all we know is what happened.’ The stated reason was, ‘We don’t think Ben Solo could be alive.’ And that was all we were told. And so there’s nothing to do about it, you know, except move on."

Soderbergh also revealed that the meetings regarding the project did not reach the point where the budget was being discussed. Instead, it was axed by Disney earlier.

"I’d kind of made the movie in my head, and just felt bad that nobody else was going to get to see it. I thought the conversation was strictly going to be a practical one—where they go, what is this going to cost? And I had a really good answer for that. But it never even got to that point. It’s insane. We’re all very disappointed," he said.

What's Next for Star Wars Movies?

The next Star Wars movie, The Mandalorian and Grogu, is slated for release in theaters on May 22 of this year. A new trailer was recently released.

In the upcoming installment, the evil Empire has fallen, and Imperial warlords remain scattered throughout the galaxy. As the fledgling New Republic works to protect everything the Rebellion fought for, they have enlisted the help of legendary Mandalorian bounty hunter Din Djarin and his young apprentice Grogu.

Another title on the slate is the Shawn Levy movie, Star Wars: Starfighter, starring Ryan Gosling. It is a standalone movie that is set in a timeline that has never been explored in Star Wars before. It is set for release in theaters in May 2027.

Keep it locked on Epicstream, your go-to site for film, TV, and celebrity coverage!