Did Wicked: For Good Deserve a 2026 Oscar Nomination? Michelle Yeoh Speaks Out

Universal Pictures

Universal Pictures
  • Primary Subject: Michelle Yeoh in Wicked: For Good 2026 Oscar Snub
  • Key Update: Michelle Yeoh expressed shock and disappointment during a Variety interview after the sequel was completely shut out of the 2026 Oscar nominations.
  • Status: Confirmed
  • Last Verified: February 13, 2026
  • Quick Answer: Michelle Yeoh called the 2026 Oscar snub shocking, suggesting voters may have overlooked the sequel because the first film was so heavily recognized the previous year.

Michelle Yeoh, who plays Madame Morrible in Wicked: For Good, speaks out after the sequel failed to secure an Oscar nomination in 2026.

Surprisingly, the first installment of Wicked dominated the 2025 Oscars, winning Best Costume Design and Best Production Design, and earning nominations for Best Picture, Best Actress for Cynthia Erivo, Best Supporting Actress for Ariana Grande, Best Film Editing, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Original Score, Best Sound, and Best Visual Effects.

So why was Wicked: For Good snubbed? Yeoh shares her thoughts.

What Did Michelle Yeoh Say About Wicked: For Good 2026 Oscar Snub?

Wicked- For Good
expand image
Credit: Universal Pictures
Wicked: For Good

Michelle Yeoh admitted she was “shocked” after Wicked: For Good was snubbed at the 2026 Oscars, wondering if voting members intentionally overlooked the film to give other movies a chance after the first installment received recognition.

“I’m not surprised. I am in shock! I really am. I think sometimes the problem is that people think, ‘Oh, you already got so much with the first one, let other people have a chance.’ But then it feels like, ‘No, come on!’ It’s such a beautiful, well-made movie,” she told Variety.

The Everything Everywhere All At Once star, who won an Oscar herself for the 2022 epic film, strongly disagreed with the snub, emphasizing that Wicked: For Good deserved to be nominated.

“If you compare it [with contenders this year], it should be there,” she said.

Yeoh also stressed that the sequel was more than a replica of the original, with its own story and fresh elements, making the Oscar snub even more disappointing.

“It’s not the replica of the first one. It’s more elaborate, and there are many more new destinations in Wicked: For Good. So I was truly, truly very disappointed,” she added.

Will There be Wicked 3?

Wicked- For Good
expand image
Credit: Universal Pic
Wicked: For Good

Despite the 2026 Oscar snub, there’s no denying that Wicked: For Good is a success. The film earned a whopping $147 million in its opening weekend alone, marking the biggest global debut for a Broadway musical adaptation and even surpassing the first movie.

While the sequel reached the end of the yellow brick road, depicting the conclusion of the musical on which the films are based, fans are left wondering if will there be a Wicked 3?

Director Jon M. Chu admitted that there were “a lot of ideas flying around” for the next movie. Alternatively, Composer and lyricist Stephen Schwartz, along with book writer Winnie Holzman, revealed they were “actually talking about something.”

“It’s under wraps, and we can’t say too much about it. But it’s not called Wicked Part Three or Four,” Holzman added.

So far, a third installment hasn’t been confirmed, but fans remain hopeful.

Keep it locked on Epicstream, your go-to source for film, TV, and celebrity news!