Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Gets Candid on the Wonder Man Cancellation

The Wonder Man star speaks out.

Wonder Man
Wonder Man

  • Primary Subject: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II / Wonder Man Cancellation
  • Key Update: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II opened up about the cancellation of Wonder Man.
  • Status: Confirmed
  • Last Verified: August 21, 2026
  • Quick Answer: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II stated Marvel attributed Wonder Man's cancellation to low viewership, while emphasizing that the negative optics surrounding the decision warrant serious evaluation.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II recently shared his candid thoughts on the cancelation of Wonder Man and why Marvel decided to pull the plug.

A few weeks ago, we learned the shocking news that Marvel and Disney have decided to not move forward with the second season of Wonder Man despite the initial renewal earlier this year. Fans have expressed disappointment at the news and are still hoping the decision will be reversed or that the characters will return in another project.

What Does Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Think of the Wonder Man Cancelation?

wonder man star speaks out on series cancellation
expand image
Credit: Marvel Television

In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II revealed the reason why Wonder Man was canceled based on the discussions that he had with the studio.

"I was told that it had something to do with the viewership numbers. I wasn’t told what those numbers were, but ultimately, for whatever reason it was, I think they decided that it didn’t make sense for business, and that’s the decision that we live with, and we keep on marching forward," he said.

However, when the discourse on Marvel canceling two Black-led projects (including Mahershala Ali's Blade) was brought up, Abdul-Mateen gave his two cents on the optics of the situation.

"I think the optics are obvious. If I’m a big business, if I’m Disney, if I’m Marvel, I don’t want to be attached to these optics. It should be a priority to change that narrative and to do what it takes to responsibly change that narrative with quality stories, with quality resources," he said.

“I felt that our show did have quality story, did have quality resources, did have quality actors and people, and did produce quality results that the viewers responded to positively, that the voters responded to positively."

The Wonder Man star continued, "So our show does deserve some study and some real, hard information about why a show like this did not continue forward, because it had all of the ingredients that one would want in a show."

It remains unknown whether Marvel has plans to include Abdul-Mateen's Simon Williams in a future MCU project following the cancellation.

What Is Wonder Man About?

Wonder Man follows aspiring Hollywood actor Simon Williams, who is struggling to get his career off the ground. During a chance meeting with Trevor Slattery, an actor whose biggest roles may be well behind him, Simon learns legendary director Von Kovak is remaking the superhero film "Wonder Man." These two actors, at opposite ends of their careers, doggedly pursue life-changing roles in this film as audiences get a peek behind the curtain of the entertainment industry.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II made his MCU debut as Simon Williams/Wonder Man. Ben Kingsley co-stars as Trevor Slattery, reprising the role from his past MCU appearances. Other cast members in the first season include X Mayo, Zlatko Buric, Arian Moayed, Joe Pantoliano, Byron Bowers, and Josh Gad.

All eight episodes are available to stream on Disney+. It is part of Phase Six of the MCU.

Keep it locked on Epicstream, your go-to site for film, TV, and celebrity coverage!